Friday, June 18, 2010

Hi my name is Akward, what's yours?

I'm going to blame my parents for not socializing me properly as a child ....yep I'm using my folks as my cop-out.





As a child my shyness was at times paralyzing. I often kept to myself, I did not have many friends throughout elementary and much of high school. Children as always were mean, my parents sheltered me as much as they could, which in the end made things worse.





I ran away from my troubles, I would walk home every day at lunch just to avoid having to eat by myself. When my best friend moved away in grade seven I felt completely isolated again. My parents used the referendum(though they wanted to leave Dorval for years and regretted ever moving there) as an excuse to leave Quebec and start fresh.





Calgary was my new start. A high school were no one knew me, perhaps a friendlier more open community to be welcomed into. Though still shy, I forced myself be more social, to try new things and just be thankful for whatever came my way. I still have very fond memories of the friends I made in Calgary. I like to call our group, the outcasts. We were the nerds, the artists, the fasionistas, the skaters, the goths etc. We did not discriminate against anyone.




This year marks the ten year reunion for 2000 grads. I could not attend, but I do want to some day go back to Calgary and reconnect with old friends.

Though still somewhat socially awkward, I know now that if people cannot appreciate me with all my flaws, habits, annoying traits etc, then they are not worth my time. I'll stick with my group of outcasts, those that strive to be themselves no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment